Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Yayoi History

After running some errands and going to the somen shop and waterfall, my host mom surprised me by taking me to the Yoshinogari Historical Park. The national park is a museum and restoration zone of ancient Japanese architecture and artifacts from the Yayoi period of Japanese history! It was so cool! The Yayoi period is the time frame of ancient Japan from 3c. BC to 3c AD! That is 600 years of ancient Japanese history! I was fascinated because it tied in with the Japanese history we studied in Mrs. Lowry's Japanese class this past year. It is amazing to me how much more history there still is in this country and the rest of the world. I mean this in the perspective that all historical museums of America cover only a little more than 200 years! The Yayoi era alone is 600! Amazing! The site of the park is where many ancient cities were discovered. The facility is very new with the restorations. So new, as a matter of fact, that I was the first person to use the portable English digital tour guide for the museums and tour! At this museum it wasn't a head set, it was the shape of a phone. The park was very spacious, something I haven't seen too much of here in Japan. The history was awesome. I was able to tie some connections to some Native American history, but otherwise, it was all new to me! I got to view pottery, clothing, tools, armor, and architecture all restored from ancient Japan and Korea! The restored villages were my favorite. You were able to go inside almost every hut and tower, which is decorated with tools and pottery, like it is presumed to have looked thousands of years ago. There were park guides, reenacting the roles of the villagers, that were willing to answer questions while they worked on traditional historic activities. I witnessed a women weaving silk, and a man carving a wooden shovel. The huts were pretty much underground with only the entrance ways and roofs above. I was interested in the study of the progression of the culture during the 600 years. The Yayoi period is marked either by the start of the practice of growing rice in a paddy field or a new Yayoi style earthenware. Historians and archeologists are proposing the probability of increasing wars and battles occuring over this time frame due to the abundance of watchtowers, defense walls, moats, armor, and tools being discovered from the later half of the era. I was so happy I was able to visit this national park. At the Saga Castle ruins I was able to see feudal period Japanese history, and today I was able to see ancient Japanese History! The pics are of me as a Yayoi warrior (It seems that "photo opportunity cutouts" are all over the world!), me inside a restored ancient style hut, and the entrance gates to one of the restored villages.

1 comment:

Louise said...

lol you are just too cute chris. i love your lil warrior picture

well it sounds like you havent gotten bored yet hehe.

miss ya lots!

♥Louise