Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hospital : Just one more check to mark off on my list!

Okay. The title of this post is a complete joke. The events tonight were a big surprise to me, as well as my host family.

Let me start from the beginning...While riding our bikes back from karaoke we were going down some narrow sidewalks. Well, in the blink of an eye, I somehow sandwiched my hand in between the cement wall and my bike handle and tore up my left hand. It stung for a second, but I just shrugged it off, and let my hand stay high to stop all the bleeding for the rest of the half hour bike ride. It was only a bit of bad luck...

When I returned home, I washed up the wounds, which were pretty sore, and bandaged them up myself. I had dinner, and even typed up the previous post with my amateur-bandaged hand. After I took a shower, I asked my host mother for some antibacterial medicine. This is the first time she seen my open wounds and kinda freaked out. It had been almost 2 hours since I had returned home, and my hand had swelled, and the slightly dried gouges presented their depth. Almost ironically, my host dad arrived home just in time for the "hand inspection". They were both very concerned. I now know it is a universal parenting trait. To the hospital it was for me... at 11 at night.

My host father took me to the local hospital, which wasn't Beaumont hospital huge. It was a quaint hospital, barely lit, since only one doctor and two nurses were there at this time of night. When we went in, all three were immediately caring for me with gauze, paperwork, and questions. A quick, funny story... This past year in Mrs. Lowry's Japanese II class, we spent a significant amount of time learning vocabulary about sickness and health. Many of the kids in my class complained, saying, "when will we EVER use this". Well the moral of this is, today I did, and I used it in a very big way. On the bright side of this whole ordeal, I was able to use a whole new array of Japanese vocabulary. The two nurses treated me as if my hand was off. They were very caring. First I had x-rays taken. My wounds were then cleaned out with saline water and iodine, which wasn't too fun - yes... stick some gauze and tweezers into a small, but deep open wound...ouch. Then I found out that I would need a few stitches for some of the gouges on my knuckles. It all happened really fast. Iodine, anesthetic shots, gauze, stitches, ... pictures, haha. After the procedure was done, we were ready to return home... at 12:30 at night. Wow, what a day. After the hospital, we stopped at 7-11 for some puddings to take home. When we arrived, Erika and my host mom were waiting, and my parents at home in America were already notified by Okasan! The situation may have given my host parents a few gray hairs, but now it is definitely something to laugh about. It was surprisingly a great bonding time. Now I laugh, while trying to type this with my tightly bandaged hand, that there were so many things I planned to do in Japan, but there have been so many great surprises. If I have a scar or two, or not, I will always be able to think back to this crazy, hectic night here.

2 comments:

Louise said...

omg im so glad your alright chris!
i dont see how you could be smiling while your hand is bleeding like crazy. no more calpis before long bike rides!
well atleast Japan will always be in the palm of your hand(i kno..lame attempt at a joke.)
feel better!

♥Louise

wujek michas and ciocia ann said...

oh geez! a hospital experience huh? from the sounds of it...one doc and two nurses, you must be the most action that that hospital has seen in years in the middle of the night.

to be in and out with everything done in an hour and a half is pretty damn good! they must not have too many medical emergencies on a daily basis in that region! sounds like a hospital i need to go work for for awhile! lol...slower pace sounds fine by me.

glad to see you could smile right through the whole thing. must mean that you were doing just fine, just needed some cosmetic closing to those wounds or you were stoned from the iodine and saline that entered your bloodstream! lmao...

smart young man for taking that camera with you too! you know how everyone would have bugged you to see the inside of a hospital. so glad the japanese dont wear those funky nurses caps either. i hate those things! makes you feel like a nun!! lol...

well we're counting down the days here. you'll be home soon. make sure to cling to every last moment of fun and adventure there.

love you bunches!!
ciocia ann